By the time I arrived at the farm this morning, I felt as though I’d already done a full day’s work!
- 6am – alarm goes off. Dogs get excited, jump arund bedroom, get cats excited so they join in. Can’t find phone, so alarm carries on long enough to wake B up. B has been off work for two days as she’s not been well so wasn’t impressed with the early wake up call…
- 6.05 – start the morning routine, letting dogs out, making coffee, brush teeth etc.
- 7.11 – suddenly realise it’s time to leave the house as B’s on the open and needs to be at the store by 7.30. Only thing is, we’re somehow running very late.
- 7.12 – abandon B to get my bag ready and head off to collect fruit and veg. Only thing is, there was a frost last night and the car is hidden below a thick layer of ice…
- 7.18 – head back indoors, having finally finished scraping off the ice. Will drop B off and then go back to get fruit and veg. Notice that cats are out of biscuits and there’s no more in the cupboard…
- 7.30 – drop B off (on time!), realise I’ve left my phone at home so will have to go home to get it as B needs to text me the time she’s finishing so I can pick her up. Decide to go to Asda to get cat biscuits and then go home after I’ve been to the greengrocer’s to feed the darlings and get my phone. Forget to fill up as I pass my usual petrol station (ie have just got in the wrong lane and there’s no way of turning back), Asda is 1p more expensive so make a snap decision to return to the usual one when I pass it again en route to the farm.
I lost track of time from then on but the rest of the morning went like this:
- Get the cat biscuits and see they still have Felix tins on offer (2 6packs for £4!) so pick them up as well.
- Drive to the greengrocer’s and get the fruit and veg for the pigs.
- Go home, fill up cat biscuits, decide to refill my travel mug with yet more coffee, leave the house.
- Go to the petrol station, enjoy filling up for 96.9p
- Get onto dual carriageway and realise that my phone is still at home. Bugger…
- Decide to pop into Tesco as Snipe’s running low on complete biscuits and Midge recently cleaned her bowl three days in a row having been fed their Value biscuits… At 46p per kg instead of her usual brand at 98p per kg, I’m happy to shop at Tesco! Buy two bags of the biscuits and get a couple of bags for the cats while I’m at it.
- Leave the car park and see that they’re doing diesel for 94.9p. Swear the whole way to the farm…
- Farm covered by a thick and hard frost. Am late and its the pigs’ turn to swear.
- Get them fed and change their water, am forced to use the heel of my wellie to break the ice on their water bowls!
- Do the chickens, swear at Flint who managed to knock over their jug of corn. Leave happy chickens eating corn off the frozen grass instead of from their hopper…
- Indoors for a well deserved coffee!
How’s your day been?!